Evolution of telematics towards wireless technologies and BLE-sensors strongly expand the capabilities of telematics system providers and gives them two main advantages:
- Increased installation speed – BLE-sensors have an in-built battery, so the signal is transmitted “by air”, wireless sensors do not need a cable.
- Possibility of implementation of the projects at the new markets – for example, installation of a fuel monitoring system on stationary cisterns, tanks and storage, where high requirements for explosion safety exist. Previously, when fuel level sensors with a cable were used for such projects, additional intrinsic safety barrier unit was required, and that caused a significant increase in the cost of hardware set.
In 2019, Technoton presented S7 Technology for wireless data gathering from telematics devices. S7 Technology employs Bluetooth 4.X Low Energy (BLE) standard as a communication channel for data transfer.
Wireless Technology is realized in four lines of BLE sensors: DUT-E S7 fuel level sensors, DFM S7 fuel flow meters, GNOM DDE and GNOM DP axle load sensors and novelty of 2020 – active asset tag Marker S7.
How S7 Technology works
Wireless sensors with BLE and S7-compatible devices mounted on an object (mobile or stationary unit) compose S7 wireless network. Inside the network, wireless sensors with BLE and S7-compatible devices (tracker, smartphone, telematics gateway) operate as Transmitters and Receivers. Each device has a unique address, and this allows Receivers to store the unique address of all Transmitters, from which data should be gathered.
- CANUp 27 Pro – telematics gateway with on-board data analysis
- Android OS smartphones / tablets supporting Bluetooth 4.1 and above (BLE)
- S7-compliant telematics units and vehicle trackers (more)
Depending on wireless sensor type data transmission frequency varies from 1 to 10 seconds. Transmitters are protected from interference and illegal or unexpected changes in settings – configuration profiles are stored in Receivers.
Advantages of S7 Technology
- Advertising in “BLE-radio” mode. Wireless sensors send data to several receivers alongside.
- Data is transmitted without pairing – that grants zero risk of session break (disconnection) or establishing connection with “wrong” sensor.
- Increased resistance to vandalism, no cable – no possible damage to wires.
- Explosion- and ﬁre-safety of sensor. No cable – no risk of ignition from disruptive spark.
- Powered by built-in battery only, autonomous operation of sensor within 5…10 years.
Mobile application for BLE-sensors
The core feature of wireless data gathering technology is operational monitoring of measurement results, Parameters and Events on smartphones and tablets (Android OS).
Fuel Tank Monitor application for fuel level monitoring, control of volume of refuelling or draining of fuel in the tank.
- fuel level in a fuel tank
- efforts of fuel theft
Mobile application Fuel consumption monitor for fuel consumption monitoring via Bluetooth on a smartphone.
- fuel consumption and temperature
- engine operating time
- engine operating time by mode of fuel consumption
- graph of changes in hourly fuel consumption
Axle load monitor smartphone app for axle load and cargo weight monitoring.
- data on axle load/weight of cargo
- axle load during loading/unloading